This year I decided to try something I've never done before: needle felting a mask! I didn't felt the entire piece, though, just the surface. The base is papier mache with leather glued inside for comfort as well as providing a nice place to put some grommets for the ties (see bottom right photo).
The needle felting part was rather difficult! I had to needle felt it separately and then kind of squish it over the base, scrunching it and stretching it in different places to get it to fit over the face shape properly. Ugh! There must be a better way... But I am quite pleased with the final result.
I dyed the wool myself, this time with Rit Dye, which I'd never done before. It makes some really bold colors.
Other materials: feathers for mane, ear tufts, and dangle bits; a little piece of black leather for the nose; plastic gems for decoration; wooden beads and leather strings for the dangles. The lips, eyeliner, and colorful trim are just the painted papier mache base showing through.
The regal collar was sewn by my mother and then I glued metal decorations and sequins on it. Yay, sequins!
The full get-up: