So this is what I've been working on the last month. It is the new blue-ringed octopus. Still working on it, but getting there! You can see I've made a few revisions on the design and also the color is somewhat more intense this time around. I'm also adding a beak to this guy, as requested by the commissioner.
1. Pipe cleaner armature for the arms
2. A base of plain wool batting needle-felted into shape on top of the pipe cleaners
3. Starting to felt colored wool on to the base in the blue-ringed pattern, careful about the eyes so the shape is good
4. Felting the rings on the arms (I start with the light blue so it stays bright and pure)
5. Still felting the rings... There are a lot of them!
The beak -- made out of paper clay and painted with acrylic.
Eyes -- paper clay painted with pan pastels and acrylics for the pupil and the white outline so it "glows." Thank you, =ShePaintsWithBlood
for introducing me to pan pastels! They are so perfect for cephalopod eyes!
Feel free to ask questions, I'll try to answer in a timely manner.